Malaysia Day One

By afparungao - Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's been almost three weeks since I got back from my most recent trip. And while I am still busy slaving myself to my laptop, trying to gain back what I spent for that 10-day out of the country trip, I am taking a break to tell and show some wonderful things about it. 

I'm just going to tell about my trip to Malaysia, because Vietnam has already been told several times in my blog, and I know the minute I started talking about Hanoi again, I'll end up gushing. Plus, I didn't take many photos during my return, because I wanted as much as possible to spend more time with my friends, Austen and Ryan, and less sight seeing. 

The main reason I went to Malaysia is to see my favourite band, Bloc Party in FMFA. I was originally scheduled to go to Kuala Lumpur in November, but then I had to make changes because I thought there's no chance of seeing the band I have been fan girling to for so many years to bring their talents in Manila. So I immediately bought new set of tickets to KL and took advantage of Early Bird Discount for FMFA. Much to my surprise when somebody posted that Bloc Party's holding their first concert here. But I wasn't disappointed because aside from them, I also got to see fun. and Temper Trap. Not bad, right? Also, Psy who sang Gangnam Style TWICE. 

Arrived very early in Kuala Lumpur and despite it being one in the morning, it was unutterably hot. The very humid city is even hotter than Manila, but looks much the same, with enormous buildings and blinding lights. I spent my first night in a hostel, my first time EVER, because my host (who I have forgiven before I even met him!) was not able to pick me up in KL Sentral. I was there, maybe for an hour thinking where to go. I was tired, hungry, and desperate for a shower when I decided to screw my plan of sleeping in the train station. I wasn't even sure if that is possible, though. So I searched for the nearest, possibly cheapest hostel to get some shut eye. In about a thirty minutes, after a shower and fixing stuff, I finally slept. Hostel life isn't easy, especially when most people are already snoring when you arrive. 
I have seen far worse signs, but this is one of the funniest things I saw in my hostel.
The next morning was filled with many awkward firsts, as I struggled my way around the hostel, eating and barely talking to other guests. I'm not sure if you've had the same "first day jitters." I didn't bother making any more acquaintances, as I was so worried about my host. When I got back to my room, I received a call from him and my life became a better place again. Next thing I knew, I was off to my first mall, where he lived nearby.

Well, my first bus ride. A man paid for my fare.  Saved me RM 1.80
I met the very charming Martin, my host in one of KL's biggest malls, MidValley. We walked from the mall to his condominium under the sweltering heat. Then went back to the same centre in the shorter, more shady, but very dangerous way. It was fun crossing highways, going through fences, and under the flyways. I was just too happy to meet him finally, and get to the other side alive. The first agenda of the day was to look for Borders, because no matter where I go, I always look for bookstores. I'm not sure if Martin was amused by my marvelling on supposedly the biggest bookstore in KL, but told me it's in the same mall. After dropping me off in MidValley and reaching the bookstore, I made my way back to the city center, at freaking 12nn.

While waiting for the train from MidValley to KL Sentral
Luckily, my host was kind enough to lend me his LRT card and it saved me tons of Ringgits because I'm the roaming, but easily gets lost type of girl. I cannot remember how many times I rode a different train or got off the wrong stop. But it was fun getting lost, just don't mind the excruciating heat. Kuala Lumpur has a pretty impressive transportation system. I really, really liked their trains, which go in some schedule so you don't have to wait long in train stations. My host lived pretty near Seputeh's train station, more like 10 minutes walk from his place. I didn't mind walking, but during the first few nights, I was so paranoid, I end up running from the station to his condo, flashing my led lights. It was crazy. 

My friend Vins wanted me to look for this specific place where Bea Alonzo shot a scene for one of her movies. After looking for it in Google, it led me to this place:

Can't seem to find my panorama shot, but this is pretty much  it.
This lake is Titiwangsa. I walked miles from the station to get to this place, so it was a relief to sit for a while, watch people, and look over at Petronas from afar. My next agenda was to get to Petronas, and thought it would be an easy trek. Of course I was wrong. It was waaay over the other side. I was not even far from Titiwangsa and I was already sweating and so tired I looked so harassed. I kid you not. Good thing, a group of Malaysian students were kind enough to tell me which way to go, with one of them actually driving me to the towers, even if it was out of his way. You already know this story from previous post.

After a brief ride, I reached Petronas Twin Towers!!! I'm not really a fan of skyscrapers, but Petronas was just too majestic, I couldn't even. It's no wonder a lot of tourists troop over to KLCC to get a glimpse of this beauty. If I had much more money, I'd go all the way to the top to get a view of  the entire city. 

Ah, no one to take a photo of me against/ carrying the towers. I would have loved to  do those 'stunts'



Some more photos of the towers from 3PM to 7PM. Sunset was at 7:30PM so...
I didn't realise I spent so much time around KLCC, just oggling at Petronas. I spent some more time inside the malls, like Berjaya and Suria KLCC, but just to get some cold air. I was probably too tired, all I can remember was lying down in KLCC park until 7PM, because I really wanted to wait for sunset, but it was getting 'late,' I decided to go home. 

And it was such a bad idea to stay until 7-ish because I caught the human traffic in rush hour. Not comparable to us, because KL-ites are disciplined to fall in line and wait for their turn when riding the train. But too much people, was TOO much. I went from LRT Putra line to KTM Rawang-Seremban line. There were too much walking and I was just so happy to end my first day in KL. But because my memory always fails me, I ended up crossing the other side of Seputeh, I had to go through a scary under pass and of course ran my way to  Martin's condo to get there fast.

Never Forget.
Good thing when I arrived, Martin was already there, home from work. I took a snapshot of my view from his place. I don't know why I didn't take a morning version. It was beautiful in the morning, especially at sunrise, which I saw that one morning when I woke up early. 

All the KL Lights. Petronas, sadly is on the other side, where there's no window
Martin and I ended our day with his karaoke app. And because karaoke brings out the competitive side of me, stayed up pretty late trying to beat each other's scores.

I guess this entry is pretty long, so I will tell more stories of the next few days in upcoming entries. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments